padding:0 20px 20px .25em; Ramblings From around the world: Malaria Strikes Again

July 02, 2006

Malaria Strikes Again




















Ok, So, I had Malaria Again. It is becoming a little to common. My symptoms started on last Sunday, Monday I was fine, but it came back Tuesday and stayed for a while. I am doing ok now but, I still have a headache.

Below is some information from The WHO (World Health Organization).

Symptoms of malaria I have had include fever, shivering, arthralgia (joint pain), intense headaches, and convulsions. There may be tingling in the skin, particularly with malaria caused by P. falciparum.


Symptoms I have not had but are possible include vomiting, anemia, Splenomegaly (enlarged spleen) and cerebral ischemia and hemoglobinuria with renal failure may occur. Complications of malaria include coma and death if untreated.

Malaria is an infectious disease which in humans causes about 350-500 million infections and approximately 1.3 million deaths annually. It occurs mainly in the tropics, Sub-Saharan Africa accounts for 85% of these fatalities. Malaria is caused by the protozoan parasite, Plasmodium (one of the Apicomplexa) and the transmission vector for human malarial parasite is the Anopheles mosquito. The P. falciparum variety(I have had it both times) of the parasite accounts for 80% of cases and 90% of deaths.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

Are you rkaing any anti-malarial medicine? Is it not always effective? Glad you are feeling better!

12:39 PM, July 21, 2006  
Blogger Rachel said...

Okay I meant to write the word taking not rkaing....

12:40 PM, July 21, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home